Call us today! 02 9419 5411

Home » Australian Visas » The first step towards your Australian future » Partner Visa for Same-Sex Couples

Partner Visa for Same-Sex Couples

Now that same-sex marriages are recognised under Australian law, it is possible to apply for a partner visa on the basis of marriage. Under the Marriage Act notice of 30 days must be given before a marriage can take place in Australia.

Overseas same-sex marriages are now recognised providing they are recognised in the country where they take place.

Same-sex couples have the same visa pathways under partner visa stream, such as: prospective marriage visa, subclass 820/801 visa and subclass 309/100 visa.

This new legislation will also make it easier to include partners as secondary dependents in a number of other visa pathways. Previously, you could only include a same-sex partner if you can establish that you are in a de facto relationship. Married couples can now be included as dependents in a variety of permanent and temporary visa applications such as student visas, provisional skilled and business migration visas.

Same Sex Partner Visa Success Story

Ian & Malcom

Would you like to know more about your prospects for a visa?

You don’t need to wade through an internet full of conflicting information that is at best general and at worst wrong. One call or email to us will often be enough for us to put you on the right path.

Email Us