The Resident Return visa (subclass 155) is a permanent visa for current or former Australian permanent residents and former Australian citizens. This visa will allow you to maintain or regain your status as an Australian permanent resident.
If you want to return to Australia after your current visa expires, you should apply for a visa before you leave Australia.
Only Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia. If you hold a permanent visa you have the right to remain in Australia indefinitely, however, if you choose to travel outside Australia, you must ensure you have the authority to return. Generally, a permanent visa will allow the holder to travel into Australia for up to five years from the date of grant.
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not canceled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced Australian citizenship
- meet residence or substantial ties requirements
- have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years or
- be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia
- meet character requirement
- not have had a visa canceled or a previous application refused
Government Fees for Resident Return Visa
AUD405 for each applicant if you apply online
AUD485 for each applicant if you apply on paper
Duration and Conditions
Travel validity will vary depending on your circumstances:
- If you have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or former citizen or former permanent resident
You meet what is known as the residence requirement and might be given a 5 year travel validity on your visa
- If you have not lived in Australia for 2 years in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or former citizen or former permanent resident
You might be given a maximum of 12 months’ travel validity on your visa if you can demonstrate substantial ties that are of benefit to Australia. Check the substantial ties documents you need to provide under Step by step, Gather your documents.
- If you meet the requirements only because you are a member of a family unit of a person who holds this visa
You can only be given a maximum of 12 months of travel validity on your visa.
- If you don’t meet the requirement but have compelling and compassionate reasons for departure
You might only be given 3 months of travel validity on your visa.
Becoming an Australian citizen
After a certain time, you might be eligible for Australian citizenship.