Call us today! 02 9419 5411

Home » The first step towards your New Zealand future » Visas for Partners & Children

Visas for Partners & Children

New Zealand Partner Visas

To apply for a visa based on your relationship, you need to show that your partnership is genuine and stable and you are living together.

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you will need to prove that New Zealand is your primary place of residence prior to applying.

Temporary Visas

You can apply for a temporary work or visitor visa to be with your partner in New Zealand if you both meet the criteria.

If your application is dependent on your partner’s temporary visa, your visa will only be valid for the same period as theirs.

If your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident you can apply for a work or visitor visa between 12-24 months duration depending on the length of the relationship.

Resident Visas

You can apply for a resident visa if you are in a relationship with a New Zealand citizen or resident under the Family Partnership category.

You have to have been living together in a stable relationship, as a married or de-facto couple, for a minimum of twelve months.


Dependent children may be included in your visa application if they are the right age, single and financially reliant.

Temporary Visas

Children 17 and under can be included if they are single and rely on the parent for support; children 18 or 19 can be included if they are single, don’t have any children of their own and rely on the parent for support.

Children aged 20 and over aren’t eligible to be included in their parent’s visitor visa based on their relationship to their parents however may be able to join their parent if they apply for a visa in his or her own right.

Your dependent children can apply for a student or visitor visa to be with you in New Zealand.  School-aged dependent children need a student visa to be able to attend primary, intermediate or secondary schools.

Resident Visas

Dependent children are 20 and under, are single and don’t have any children.

Children 21-24, to be considered dependent, must be single, don’t have any children of their own and rely on their parent/s for financial support.

If you’re already a New Zealand citizen or resident, you children can apply under the dependent child category.

If they’re over 16 years of age, they may need to meet the English language requirements.

Would you like to know more about your prospects for a visa?

You don’t need to wade through an internet full of conflicting information that is at best general and at worst wrong. One call or email to us will often be enough for us to put you on the right path.

Email Us