The 2021-22 South Australia skilled visa nomination program (subclass 190 and 491) is open.
South Australian state government provides a comprehensive list of occupations and professions for state nomination consideration.
South Australia – 70 Occupations Open for Offshore Applicants
The South Australian government has now opened up 70 new occupations for offshore applicants as of 28 September 2021. Candidates must submit an ROI (Registration of Interest) and wait to receive an invitation from the state government before a nomination application can be started.
The minimum requirements for state nomination include a minimum of 8 years work experience in the occupation or closely related occupation and a proficient plus English level.
Full requirements for each occupation are shown on South Australia’s Skilled Occupation List.
Offshore applicants meeting the minimum published requirements can now lodge a Registration of Interest (RoI).
State nomination is a competitive process and there is no guarantee of receiving an invitation to apply for state nomination after lodging an RoI.
South Australia Nomination Streams
There are THREE nomination streams considered by the South Australia state government, and they are:
- Currently working in South Australia
- Must be working at least 20 hours per week or 40 hours per fortnight in the nominated or closely related occupation in South Australia
- If working hours are less than 35 per week, likely to be offered with 491 nomination
- Must be currently working for at least 6 months in South Australia for 491 nomination consideration; or
- Must be currently working for at least 12 months in South Australia for 190 nomination consideration
*** please note, concessions to the work experience requirements are available for applicants who are living and working in outer regional South Australia.
To be considered to be working in outer regional South Australia, candidates must be employed and residing in an area outside of Greater Adelaide.
A full list of eligible postcodes can be accessed here:
Following concessions may become available to candidates living in outer regional SA:
- May be eligible for 491 nomination if currently residing and working for the last 12 months in regional South Australia in any occupation (does not need to be a skilled occupation or closely related)
- Maybe eligible for 190 nomination if currently residing and working for the last 24 months in regional South Australia in any occupation (does not need to be a skilled occupation or closely related)
- If unable to meet the published requirements but currently residing and working in regional South Australia, candidates can still submit an ROI for the Talent and Innovators program (please refer to the information under this program)
- International Graduate of South Australia
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree or higher qualification in South Australia
- Currently working in the nominated or closely related occupation for the last 3 months in South Australia for 190 nomination consideration; or
- No work experience for 491 nomination consideration
- Talent and Innovators Program can be considered by the South Australian government under one of the following streams:
Registration of Interest (ROI) is required for consideration under the Talent and Innovators program.
- Employment stream: for highly skilled migrants who are working for South Australian business
- Outer Regional South Australia workforce stream: for skilled applicants working for outer regional South Australian businesses (who do not qualify to apply directly for state nomination, but wish to provide a submission for consideration)
- Startup and small business stream: for entrepreneurial skilled migrants who have started their own business in South Australia
- High performing graduate stream: for high performing graduates who have completed their qualification at a SA higher education institution
- Independent talent stream: for high caliber applicants seeking state nomination
South Australia provides a list of all the occupations in demand in South Australia state territory. A full list of the occupations can be accessed at https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/occupation-lists/south-australia-skilled-occupation-list.
If you click on the occupation for nomination, further details would be displayed advising which visa pathway is applicable to the selected occupation and through which eligibility category. Eligibility for state nomination can be assessed with reference to the listed criteria above.
South Australia – Entrepreneur Stream is Opened
South Australian Skilled and Business Migration has announced that the Subclass 188 Entrepreneur stream has opened for applications.
Holders of certain visas will not be eligible for endorsement by the South Australian Government, these include student visas (including subclasses 500, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574), Subclass 403 and Subclass 771.
Subclass 485 visa holders may participate should the service provider assess they have an innovative idea and a strong business case. The state application requirements are available on the website.
It is important to note:
- Applicants must obtain a letter from one of the approved service providers before lodging an application.
- Must have at least Competent English in each component (IELTS equivalent 6.0)